Pie Five is one of the better pizza chains for vegans today. Although they don’t have any vegan meat toppings, they do have vegan cheese! And they have a couple good salad options you can make vegan, too.
Vegan options at Pie Five:
- Farmer’s Market Pizza (Daiya Cheese, or Cheese-less)
- Margherita Pizza (Daiya Cheese, or Cheese-less)
- Build Your Own Pizza
- Crust: Crispy Artisan Thin, Gluten Free.
- Sauce: Tuscan Marinara, Spicy Marinara, BBQ, Olive Oil.
- Daiya Vegan Cheese
- Veggie Toppings
- Greek Salad (No Cheese, No Chicken)
- Spinach Salad (No Bacon)
Below, I’ll share more about how to order your vegan pizza (and/or salad). I’ll also share a list of menu items that are surprisingly NOT vegan. I’ll end with a look at the whole-food plant-based options, and what’s the healthiest vegan pizza you can order at Pie Five?
Pie Five Vegan Menu
The following vegan menu was compiled with the help of the menu, nutrition and allergen info, and FAQ on the Pie Five Pizza Co website.
Restaurant menus change and often vary by location. I recommend double checking any important information with staff at your location!
1. Craft Pizzas
There are two pre-designed pizzas that are easy to order vegan. You just need to ask for vegan crust and cheese.
Here they are:
- Farmer’s Market Pizza – Comes with Tuscan marinara sauce, spinach, mushrooms, red onions, red and green peppers, and tomatoes. Ask for the Thin Artisan Crust or the Gluten-Free Crust (costs extra). Ask for no cheese or Daiya vegan cheese (costs extra).
- Margherita Pizza – Comes with olive oil, Roma tomatoes, minced garlic, and basil. Ask for the Thin Artisan Crust or the Gluten-Free Crust (costs extra). Ask for no cheese or Daiya vegan cheese (costs extra).
2. Build Your Own Pizza
You can also design your own vegan pizza at Pie Five. There are no vegan meats, but besides that, they’ve really got all you could want from a vegan-friendly pizzeria!
Pick a crust:
- Crispy Artisan Thin
- Gluten Free (costs extra)
Note: The Traditional Italian crust, Classic Pan crust, and Cauliflower crust all contain milk. The Cauliflower Crust also has egg.
Pick one (or more) sauces:
- Tuscan Marinara
- Spicy Sriracha Marinara
- Olive Oil
- Daiya vegan cheese
- No cheese
- Banana Peppers
- Black Olives
- Grape Tomatoes
- Green Olives
- Green Peppers
- Kalamata Olives
- Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- Minced Garlic
- Red Onions
- Chopped Cilantro
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Fresh Basil
3. Salad (Custom Order)
There are no salads that come vegan at Pie Five—but you can veganize a few of them pretty easily. These are the two that are closest to vegan to start with, and how to order them vegan:
- Greek Salad (No Cheese, No Chicken) – After you remove the cheese and chicken, you’ll be getting: Romaine lettuce, banana peppers, carrots, tomatoes, kalamata olives, and red onions.
- Spinach Salad (No Bacon) – After removing the bacon, you’ll get: Spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
Vegan salad dressings:
- Balsamic Glaze
- Fat Free Italian Dressing
- Greek Vinaigrette
- Olive Oil
Note: The House Vinaigrette contains egg.
But What About…
You might think some of the following items would be vegan, too—but unfortunately they’re not:
- The Garlic Butter Breadstix contain milk.
- The Cinnamon Stix contain milk.
- The Traditional Italian Crust contains milk.
- The Classic Pan Crust contains milk.
- The Cauliflower Crust contains milk and egg.
- The Sun-Dried Tomato Puree and the Magic Dust Finishes contain milk.
- The House Vinaigrette contains egg.
More Details on Pie Five Crusts
I wasn’t able to dig up full ingredients on all the Pie Five crusts, but they do share full ingredients on two of their less-conventional crust options: The gluten-free crust and the cauliflower crust. So let’s take a look at these.
Here are the full ingredients for the gluten-free crust, which is vegan:
Pie Five Gluten-Free Crust Ingredients: “Water, rice flour, olive oil, rice starch, potato starch, agave syrup, tapioca starch, potato flour, sugar, xanthan gum, yeast, sorghum flour, millet flour, amaranth flour, salt, teff seeds.”
And here are the ingredients for the cauliflower crust, which is not vegan:
Pie Five Cauliflower Crust Ingredients: “Cauliflower, Almond Flour, Corn Starch, Water, Tapioca Flour, Parmesan Cheese, Olive Oil, Egg, Xanthan Gum, Yeast, Salt, Vinegar, Baking Powder.”
Whole-Food Plant-Based Options
What if you’re not just vegan but also trying to avoid processed foods? Can you get a whole-food plant-based (WFPB) meal at Pie Five? That means no processed sugar, oil, or flour.
Well, you’d be limited to salad. The pizza crusts are not really “whole grain.” They contain oil and flour. (The gluten-free crust merely contains different kinds of flour and oil, rather than wheat.) So you can’t really get a fully WFPB pizza here.
That said, if you’re not trying to be strictly WFPB, then you could still get a pretty healthy pizza by just loading up with veggie toppings and choosing “no cheese.”
Depending on your nutrition goals, the healthiest sauce might be the Tuscan Marinara Sauce (lowest in calories) or the Olive Oil (sodium-free, no processed carbs). But it goes without saying that the Olive Oil is clearly not WFPB!
More Vegan Guides to Pizza Chains
If you’re looking for which pizza place has the best vegan options, you may want to look at MOD Pizza, Blaze Pizza, and Mellow Mushroom. They all have vegan cheese.
I’ve also made vegan guides for:
Two More Recommendations for Your Plant-Based Journey
1. This is the best free video training I’ve found on plant-based nutrition. You’ll learn how to reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and obesity—all with plant-based food. Watch the free “Food for Health Masterclass” here.
2. This is the best vegan multivitamin I’ve found in my 14 years of being vegan. It has vitamin B12, vitamin D, omega-3—and nothing else. Translation: It only has the nutrients vegans are actually low in. Read my full review of Future Kind’s multivitamin here (with 10% discount).