Pita Pit is a great place to grab lunch as a vegan. They actually have multiple vegan protein options, and you can custom-build your pita how you want it. As a vegan of 14 years, Pita Pit gets my seal of approval.
Vegan options at Pita Pit:
- Pita Options: White, Wheat, Gluten Free
- Vegan Protein: Falafel, Spicy Black Bean Patty
- Veggies and Toppings
- Spreads: Avocado, Hummus, Red Pepper Hummus
- Sauces and Dressings
- Garden Vegetable Soup
- Fresh Fruit
More detail on all this below. I’ll also cover some common questions like whether Pita Pit’s Secret Sauce is vegan!
I’ll end with a whole-food plant-based guide to Pita Pit, in case you’re avoiding processed and fried foods, too!
Pita Pit Vegan Menu
To build this vegan menu, I went through allergen menu on Pita Pit’s website, which actually includes a checkmark for vegan choices. Then I followed up with Pita Pit with some extra questions.
So the following menu is solidly vetted as vegan. That said, it never hurts to ask the staff at your location for any details you need help with.
1. Build Your Own Pita
- Gluten Free Wrap
- Spicy Black Bean Patty
- Banana Peppers
- Green Peppers
- Shredded Lettuce
- Romaine Lettuce
- Black Olives
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Salt and Pepper
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Vegan Sauces and Dressings:
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- BBQ Sauce
- Frank’s Buffalo Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Secret (spicy vinaigrette)
- Thai Satay
- Yellow Mustard
- Bayou Cajun Seasoning
- Greek Seasoning
- Mojito Lime Seasoning
- Smokehouse Maple Seasoning
2. Soup Side
Pita Pit even has a vegan soup option! Not all locations will have the soups available, however.
- Garden Vegetable
Note: The Minestrone Soup is not vegan—it contains milk and eggs.
3. Fruit Side
Most Pita Pit locations will have some fresh fruit you can grab, too:
Big array of vegan drinks:
- Coca-Cola Products
- Fanta Soda
- Fruitwater Fizzy Drinks
- Root Beer
- Ginger Ale
- Tea (FUZE, Gold Peak, or Honest Brewed)
But What About…
This is a section I often include in my restaurant guides to address foods that appear vegan but actually aren’t. There aren’t too many deceptive ingredients at Pita Pit, however. Just a couple:
- The fruit smoothies are not vegan, as they typically contain milk. Im waiting to hear back from Pita Pit on whether it’s possible to order the smoothies without milk.
- The Minestrone Soup is not vegan as it contains milk and egg.
Is Pita Pit Secret Sauce Vegan?
Pita Pit Secret Sauce is vegan, as confirmed by the allergen menu on their website. It contains no animal-derived ingredients.
Whole-Food Plant-Based Options
What if you’re not just trying to eat vegan at Pita Pit but whole-food plant-based (WFPB) entirely? Can you avoid all processed sugar, oil, and white flour, and still get a full meal?
If you count the wheat pita as WFPB—which, it may not be entirely, as it probably has some white flour in it—then you could make a pita full of veggies. Make sure you don’t add a sugar-rich sauce.
You’d want to take advantage of the fresh fruit, maybe even grabbing multiple pieces. The Garden Vegetable Soup likely contains some oil, but you could ask about that and make the decision depending on how strict you’re trying to be.
It’d be hard to be 100% WFPB at Pita Pit—but you can get a full, healthy vegan meal, that’s for sure.
Two More Recommendations for Your Plant-Based Journey
1. This is the best free video training I’ve found on plant-based nutrition. You’ll learn how to reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and obesity—all with plant-based food. Watch the free “Food for Health Masterclass” here.
2. This is the best vegan multivitamin I’ve found in my 14 years of being vegan. It has vitamin B12, vitamin D, omega-3—and nothing else. Translation: It only has the nutrients vegans are actually low in. Read my full review of Future Kind’s multivitamin here (with 10% discount).