Sweet Frog is an awesome place to go as a vegan. They typically have several vegan ice cream and sorbet options, vegan waffle cones, and plenty of great toppings. The only downside is that you can’t plan ahead for which flavors will be available each day!
Vegan options at Sweet Frog:
- Both of the Silk Almond Milk flavors
- All the Sorbet flavors
- All the Dole Soft Serve Flavors
- The waffle cone and waffle bowl
- Sauces: Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Strawberry
- All the fruit, nuts, and Boba Popper toppings
- Various other toppings
Below, I’ll list out every single vegan flavor. I’ll also share some menu items that are surprisingly NOT vegan. I’ll answer some common questions, and I’ll end with a look at whether there are any whole-food plant-based options here.
Sweet Frog Vegan Menu
The following vegan menu was compiled with the help of the nutrition and allergen information on the Sweet Frog website.
Since they provide full ingredient lists for every flavor of frozen yogurt, I share the following menu with a high degree of confidence. Only when it comes to toppings did I have any confusion, which I noted in that section.
Restaurant menus change and often vary by location. I recommend double checking any important information with staff at your Sweet Frog location!
1. Vegan Ice Cream Flavors
Sweet Frog has two simple dairy-free flavors made with Silk almond milk. These are a bit “creamier” than the sorbet flavors and the Dole flavors below:
- Silk Almond Chocolate
- Silk Almond Vanilla
2. Sorbet Flavors
All of Sweet Frog’s sorbet flavors are also vegan:
- Acai Berry Sorbet
- Caramelized Pineapple Sorbet
- Chocolate Fudge Sorbet
- Green Apple Sorbet
- Key Lime Sorbet
- Mango Sorbet
- Orange Splash Sorbet
- Pink Lemonade Sorbet
- Raspberry Lime Mojito Sorbet
- Pomegranate Raspberry Sorbet
- Strawberry Kiwi Sorbet
- Strawberry Lemonade Sorbet
- Very Berry Sorbet
- Watermelon Sorbet
3. Dole Soft Serve Flavors
And Sweet Frog also has fruity Dole soft-serve flavors. All of them are vegan:
- Dole Cherry
- Dole Lemon
- Dole Lime
- Dole Mango
- Dole Orange
- Dole Pineapple
- Dole Raspberry
- Dole Strawberry
- Dole Watermelon
There are two cone options—both are vegan:
- Waffle Cone
- Waffle Bowl
With some toppings, checking if they’re vegan may require asking at your location. With items like Nerds or sprinkles, for example, some have animal ingredients like carmine or shellac, but it depends on the flavor, brand, or other details.
Here I’ve estimated my best judgment about which toppings I would personally consider vegan:
- Fruit: Bananas, Blackberries, Blueberries, Kiwi, Mango, Pineapple, Raspberries, Strawberries.
- Nuts: Almonds, Peanuts, Pecans, Walnuts, Wet Walnuts
- Boba Poppers: Blueberry, Cherry, Kiwi, Mango Sorbet, Orange, Passion Fruit, Pineapple, Pomegranate, Strawberry, Tropical.
- Candy: Jolly Rancher, Nerds, Skittles, Sour Patch Kids
- Sauces: Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Strawberry
- More Toppings: Cap’n Crunch, Shredded Coconut, Cookie Dough Bikes, Froot Loops, Granola, Maraschino Cherries, Mochi, Nutter Butter Bites, Sprinkles.
But What About…
You might think some of the following items would be vegan, too—but unfortunately they’re not:
- None of the Gelato flavors are vegan, as they all contain milk ingredients. (And the Caramel Sea Salt flavor also contains egg yolks.)
- All of the “Low Fat,” “Non Fat,” “Lite Ice Cream,” and “No Sugar Added” flavors contain dairy (and some contain eggs).
Here are a few of non-vegan toppings I noticed:
- The Chocolate Chips, Peanut Butter Chips, and all the other “chips” contain dairy.
- The “Crushed OREO Cookies” contain dairy.
- The “Dark Chocolate Shavings” contain dairy.
What Is Sweet Frog Yogurt Made Of?
Most flavors of Sweet Frog frozen yogurt are made of dairy products such as non-fat milk, buttermilk, and whey, like most frozen yogurt. However, there are a few Sweet Frog product lines—the sorbets and Dole soft serves, for example—which are dairy-free.
Here is a sample ingredients list of a normal frozen treat at Sweet Frog. I’ve marked the non-vegan ingredients in red:
Chocolate Covered Banana Ingredients: Island Banana Non Fat Frozen Yogurt (Non Fat Milk, Sugar, Buttermilk, Cultured Non Fat Milk, Banana Base (Banana, Water, Sugar, Modified Food Starch, Fruit Juice (For Color), Citric Acid, Turmeric (For Color)), Corn Syrup, Whey, contains less than 1% of: Non Fat Dry Milk, Mono- & Diglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Natural Flavor, Annatto Extract (For Color), Modified Food Starch, Carrageenan, Pectin. contains the following live and active cultures: S. thermophilus, L. bulgaricus, L. lactis, L. acidophilus and Bifidobacterium), Chocolate Gelato (Non Fat Milk, Sugar, Buttermilk, Cream, Corn Syrup, Cocoa (processed with Alkali), Whey, contains less than 1% of : Mono- & Diglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Cellulose Gel, Natural and Artificial Flavors).
In contrast, here are the ingredients for one of the dairy-free sorbet flavors:
Acai Berry Sorbet Ingredients: “Water, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Berry Acai Base (Water, Sugar, Natural Flavor, Acai, Blueberries, Blackberries, Corn Starch, Citric Acid, Fruit Juice (For Color)), contains less than 1% of : Pectin, Fruit Juice and Vegetable Juice (For Color), Citric Acid.”
And lastly, here are the ingredients for one of the Dole Soft Serve flavors:
Dole Mango Ingredients: “Water, Sugar, Dextrose, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Coconut Oil, contains 2% or Less of Each of The Following: Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Color (Beta Carotene), Natural Flavor, Modified Food Starch, Mono & Diglycerides, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking).”
Whole-Food Plant-Based Options
What if you’re not just vegan but also trying to avoid processed foods? Can you get a whole-food plant-based (WFPB) meal at Sweet Frog? That means no processed sugar, oil, or flour.
The only WFPB options would be specific toppings—mainly the fruit and possibly the nuts. All the frozen yogurt, sorbet, and ice cream options contain sugar. So, no, this is not the place to get a WFPB meal or even snack, really!
More Vegan Guides to Frozen Dessert Places
I’ve made vegan guides to nearly 100 restaurant chains. Check out the vegan options at some of these other ice cream and frozen yogurt shops:
Two More Recommendations for Your Vegan Journey
1. This is the best vegan multivitamin I’ve found in 13 years of being vegan. It has vitamin B12, vitamin D, omega-3—and nothing else. Translation: It only has the nutrients vegans are actually low in. Read my full review of Future Kind’s multivitamin here (with 10% discount).
2. This is the best vegan starter kit I know of. It’s a bundle of 9 beautiful e-books that help you transition to a healthy plant-based diet—the right way. The advice is spot-on, and it has print-outs and checklists that make it easy to implement. Read my full review of Nutriciously here.