Discover the perfect vegan challah bread recipe, a comforting and healthy option for any occasion or meal.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the yeast and a pinch of sugar. Pour warm water over the yeast mixture while turning the bowl to help it stir itself. Let it rest for 5 minutes until the yeast is bloomed and bubbly. Then, add melted coconut oil to the mixture.
- In another medium bowl, combine melted coconut oil, warm water, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, table salt, and granulated sugar. Gradually add the coconut oil and yeast mixtures to the dry ingredients while stirring. Use a spoon to combine everything into a smooth dough. If needed, gradually add more flour and knead the dough with your hands until it is no longer sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl greased with coconut oil. Cover it with a damp towel and let it rest on the counter for 2 hours until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough and place it on a floured workspace. Knead gently to remove any large air bubbles, then shape it into a log. Depending on the desired braid, cut the dough into equal pieces.
- Braid the dough into the desired shape and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover it with a damp towel and let it rise again for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Lightly brush the challah with melted coconut oil to give it a nice shine. Bake for 25-30 minutes, brushing with more coconut oil halfway through, until the challah turns golden brown. To check if it's done, tap the bottom of the bread. If it sounds hollow, it's ready!
- Cool the challah completely on a wire rack before slicing.
- Enjoy the delicious challah!
This Vegan Challah Bread recipe is a simple and easy comfort food that is perfect for any meal.
It is dairy-free and vegan, making it suitable for vegetarians.
Additionally, it is a healthy option as it is high in fiber.
With a cooking time of under 1 hour, it is a quick and hassle-free dish to prepare.
Whether you're hosting a party or celebrating a special occasion, this bread is a great choice.
It is especially popular during the winter holidays and can be made using basic baking equipment like an oven mitt, parchment paper, and a whisk.
Enjoy this delicious bread inspired by Jewish cuisine!
Be sure to check out these recipes as well: