What exactly can you buy with an EBT card? Sure, it’s meant for “food”—but what about foods with a medical purpose, like Pedialyte and other “rehydration solutions”? Can you buy Pedialyte with food stamps?
Nutritional beverages like Pedialyte can be bought with food stamps as long as they have “Nutrition Facts” on the label, not “Supplement Facts.” Since all the standard Pedialyte products are sold as food with a “Nutrition Facts” label, Pedialyte is EBT approved.
Another thing most people don’t realize is that you can now use your EBT card on Amazon. This means you can buy Pedialyte on Amazon for extra convenience! See below for a list of Pedialyte products on Amazon, along with more explanation of what you can buy with EBT.
Can You Buy Pedialyte With EBT?
The purpose of SNAP benefits (food stamps), of course, is to help people buy food. So generally, that is the rule: Does the product count as “food”?
Pedialyte is an interesting case because it is a food/drink… but it has a medical purpose, too. (And medicine is not approved for EBT.)
And in fact, when you look at the broader category of “electrolyte drinks, powders, and tablets,” some are EBT-eligible, and some are not.
Again, the easy way to tell if an item is EBT-eligible is if it says “Nutrition Facts” on the back. If it says “Supplement Facts” instead, then it can’t be bought with food stamps.
Today I checked a variety of Pedialyte products to see if they are EBT eligible. Fortunately, every single Pedialyte product I checked was EBT eligible.
This includes the following product lines:
- Pedialyte Electrolyte Powder
- Pedialyte AdvancedCare Plus Electrolyte Drink
- Pedialyte Sport
- Pedialyte with Immune Support
- Pedialyte Sparkling Rush Electrolyte Powder
Did you know? Overwhelming evidence shows that the risk of almost every major chronic illness today can be slashed by over 80%—and it all starts with food! Learn more in the FREE Food For Health Masterclass.
Buying Pedialyte With EBT on Amazon
If you weren’t aware, you can now pay with food stamps on Amazon! This means you can buy stuff like Pedialyte in bulk on Amazon and pay with EBT. Convenient, right?
Here are some of the best-rated Pedialyte products on Amazon:
Liquid Pedialyte on Amazon:
- Pedialyte Unflavored (8-Pack of 1L Bottles)
- Pedialyte Mixed Fruit (8-Pack of 1L Bottles)
- Pedialyte AdvancedCare: Iced Grape (4-Pack of 1L Bottles)
- Pedialyte AdvancedCare: Berry Frost (4-Pack of 1L Bottles)
Pedialyte Powder (Packets) on Amazon:
- Pedialyte Electrolyte Powder: Variety Pack (24 Count)
- Pedialyte Electrolyte Powder: Individual Flavors (18 Count)
- Pedialyte AdvancedCare Powder: Berry Frost (18 Count)
EBT-Eligible Pedialyte Alternatives
If you’re interested in trying other brands of electrolyte drinks, there are also plenty of other EBT-eligible options you can buy online. Here’s a selection of the brands I was able to find on Amazon:
- Amazon Basic Care Electrolyte Solution (1 Bottle)
- Bolt24 Electrolyte Drink by Gatorade (12 Pack)
- GoodSense Electrolyte Solution (6 Pack)
- Gatorade Thirst Quencher (24 Pack of 12 fl oz Bottles)
- Gatorade Zero (12 Pack of 20 fl oz Bottles)
Electrolyte Powder Mixes:
- DripDrop ORS – Electrolyte Powder (16 Pack)
- Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier Packets (16 Pack)
- Gatorade Thirst Quencher Powder (Cannister)
- Kinderlyte Electrolyte Powder (16 Pack)
- GOODONYA Hydrate Electrolyte Powder (20 Pack)
- Nectar Hydration Powder (30 Pack)
- Hydrant: Hydrate Electrolyte Drink Mix (30 Pack)
Non-EBT Eligible Electrolyte Drinks
Unfortunately, the following rehydration solutions are not EBT-eligible (in case you were wondering). They all show “Supplement Facts” on the packaging, rather than “Nutrition Facts”:
- Nuun Sport Electrolyte Tablets
- Banana Bag Electrolyte & Vitamin Powder
- Ultima Hydrating Electrolyte Powder
- RecoverORS Electrolyte Powder
- Key Nutrients Electrolyte Powder
- Cheers Hydrate ORS Electrolyte Powder
- SaltStick Electrolyte Replacement Tablets
- PolyFit Electrolyte Salts Tablets
Can You Buy PediaSure With Food Stamps?
PediaSure nutritional shakes are EBT approved.
PediaSure is made by Abbott, the same company that makes Pedialyte. But if you’re not familiar, the product is quite different. PediaSure is a shake designed to help children hit all their nutrient needs for healthy growth.
Here’s where you can buy PediaSure with EBT on Amazon:
- PediaSure Grow & Gain: Chocolate Shake (24 Pack)
- PediaSure Grow & Gain: Vanilla Shake (24 Pack)
- PediaSure Grow & Gain: Strawberry Shake (24 Pack)
Attention, my fellow vegans: Please be aware that PediaSure is not vegan.
What Cannot Be Bought With Food Stamps?
Food stamps can’t be used to buy vitamins, medicine, hot foods, foods intended to be eaten in the store, alcohol, tobacco, hygiene products, cosmetics, or pet food. (source)
EBT can only be used to buy food (groceries) and plants and seeds (used to grow food). That’s all. (They are “food stamps,” after all.)
More EBT Buyers’ Guides
I’ve been writing a few other guides to what you can and cannot buy with your EBT card. Check them out here:
Two More Recommendations for Your Plant-Based Journey
1. This is the best free video training I’ve found on plant-based nutrition. You’ll learn how to reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and obesity—all with plant-based food. Watch the free “Food for Health Masterclass” here.
2. This is the best vegan multivitamin I’ve found in my 14 years of being vegan. It has vitamin B12, vitamin D, omega-3—and nothing else. Translation: It only has the nutrients vegans are actually low in. Read my full review of Future Kind’s multivitamin here (with 10% discount).