As a dedicated pet parent, you prioritize the health and happiness of your furry friends. And part of that care involves making the best dietary choices for them.
If you’re living a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, you probably want the same benefits for your canine companion. Welcome to our comprehensive guide on the best vegan dog food brands! We’ve done extensive research to bring you the top choices in plant-based nutrition for your pooch.
Read on to discover what vegan dog food brands can nourish your pet the best and keep it well for years to come!
- Petaluma stands out as a vegan dog food brand that’s not only nutritional but also environmentally friendly. This brand is committed to sustainability, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and conserving water in its production process.
- V-Dog is known for its protein-rich vegan recipe. They use a variety of high-quality plant-based ingredients, ensuring your dog gets sufficient protein and essential nutrients.
- Halo offers a ‘Holistic’ line of non-GMO vegan dog food. It provides a diverse range of options, including kibble, wet food, and treats. However, it’s not as eco-friendly as fully vegan brands.
- Wild Earth prioritizes pet well-being and planetary health. Their dog food surpasses the crude protein profiles of many meat-based foods and is made from sustainably sourced ingredients.
- PawCo Foods offers nutritionally balanced vegan meals for dogs crafted with quality ingredients. It’s an eco-friendly choice that’s loved by many pets.
If you’re searching for a vegan dog food brand that’s truly making a difference, look no further than Petaluma, an Illinois-based company producing completely vegan dog food using sustainable means.
Petaluma’s vegan diets aren’t only nutritional but also ethical and environmentally friendly – all Petaluma products are made using perfectly green solar power!
Formulated by veterinary nutritionists, Petaluma ensures your pup gets all the nutrients they need. It’s suitable for all adult dogs and meets AAFCO guidelines. The brand regularly tests its products for digestibility and nutrient absorption, ensuring a balanced meal for your canine friend.
What sets Petaluma apart from other dog food brands your pup might try is their commitment to the environment:
- Their plant-based kibble produces 75% fewer greenhouse gas emissions than conventional equivalents.
- The same product also uses 54% less fresh water and saves 185 lbs. of CO2 compared to a standard meat-inclusive formula.
Petaluma’s innovation is redefining the dog food industry, making it a sustainable choice for your furry friend. Notably, two out of three dogs preferred Petaluma over their standard food in a taste test.
With Petaluma, you’re feeding your pup a complete and balanced nutritional meal that actually helps save the planet!
V-Dog takes pride in providing quality, eco-friendly, protein-rich vegan dog food. V-Dog stands out among vegan dog food brands due to its commitment to the environment and the health benefits its products offer.
This brand’s vegan kibble, known as Kind Kibble, is AAFCO-certified and packed with protein-rich ingredients. This vegan recipe, with a strong nutritional profile, includes:
- Dried peas: a high-quality source of plant-based protein.
- Pea protein: another protein source that also supports healthy digestion.
- Brown rice and oatmeal: these grains provide essential carbohydrates, fiber, and various vitamins and minerals for your dog’s overall health.
- Lentils and quinoa: both are nutrient-dense foods, rich in protein, fiber, and essential nutrients.
These ingredients collectively ensure your dog gets 24% crude protein and additional vitamins and minerals like B12, vitamins A, E, D2, and more.
They also offer Breath Bones and Wiggle Biscuits, both of which are as nutritious as their kibble. V-Dog’s dedication to creating products that are both good for your pet and the planet makes it one of the top choices in the vegan dog food market.
Halo, though not a fully vegan pet food brand, has launched a ‘Holistic’ line that boasts kibble, wet food, and treats made from non-GMO ingredients. This makes it a very interesting choice for a diverse range of dog food options.
Their vegan food recipes include wholesome ingredients like ground peas, chickpeas, pearled barley, oats, and pea protein. They’ve also added flaxseed, a rich source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are essential for your dog’s health.
Furthermore, the inclusion of beet pulp and sweet potatoes helps complete the balanced diet for your furry friend.
However, it’s important to note that while Halo’s vegan line is a positive stride towards sustainability, the brand overall can’t match the eco-friendly footprint of fully vegan brands. This is due to the high resource and carbon intensity of animal-based products that Halo still offers.
Nonetheless, Halo’s initiative to provide a plant-based option is a commendable step and offers you a credible vegan alternative for your pet’s diet.
Wild Earth is another vegan dog food brand that prioritizes both the well-being of your pet and the health of our planet. Developed by vets and food scientists, their vegan recipe is designed to meet the nutritional profile required for a balanced, plant-based diet.
Here’s a closer look at what Wild Earth offers:
- Non-legume-derived, superfood ingredients.
- Whole grains like barley and oats
- Nutrient-rich produce like sweet potatoes, blueberries, pumpkin, and spinach
- Flaxseed – a great source of omega-3 fatty acids
The result is a meal that offers a complete spectrum of protein and even surpasses the crude protein profiles of many meat-based dog foods.
To make it even better, Wild Earth’s dog food requires 95% less water and emits 96% less CO2 than meat-based brands. All their ingredients are also sustainably sourced.
PawCo Foods pet food is thoughtfully crafted with an emphasis on nutritionally balanced ingredients, including proteins from peas and lentils, fiber-rich carrots, and omega 3 and 6 from flaxseeds.
Here are four key reasons why PawCo Foods is a top choice when it comes to vegan dog foods:
- Nutritionally Complete: Each serving provides a balanced blend of proteins, carbs, fats, and fibers, meeting your pet’s dietary needs in every meal.
- Quality Ingredients: PawCo Foods uses only the best plant-based ingredients, avoiding any animal products or by-products.
- Eco-Friendly: By choosing plant-based ingredients, they’re reducing the environmental impact of pet food production.
- Pet Approved: Many dog owners report their pets love the taste, and they’ve noticed improvements in their pet’s health and vitality.
Making a switch to vegan dog food doesn’t mean compromising the quality of your pet’s nutrition.
Brands like Petaluma, V-Dog, Halo, Wild Earth, and PawCo Foods have shown that it’s possible to provide a complete and balanced diet for your furry friends while also caring for the environment.
Whether you’re a vegan yourself or simply interested in reducing your pet’s environmental pawprint, these brands offer great options. Always remember to slowly introduce new foods into your pet’s diet and consult with your vet if you have any concerns. Your dog’s health should always be the priority!
Two More Recommendations for Your Plant-Based Journey
1. This is the best free video training I’ve found on plant-based nutrition. You’ll learn how to reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and obesity—all with plant-based food. Watch the free “Food for Health Masterclass” here.
2. This is the best vegan multivitamin I’ve found in my 14 years of being vegan. It has vitamin B12, vitamin D, omega-3—and nothing else. Translation: It only has the nutrients vegans are actually low in. Read my full review of Future Kind’s multivitamin here (with 10% discount).