Navigating the world of vegan cheese can feel like walking a tightrope, with taste and texture teetering on either side. You’re searching for a dairy-free alternative that doesn’t compromise on the creamy, melt-in-your-mouth sensation that traditional cheese offers.
But let’s not beat around the bush – not all vegan cheeses are created equal. Some capture the tang of a mature cheddar, while others crumble like feta, and a select few even stretch like mozzarella.
So, how do you choose the right one? Stay tuned as we explore six of the best vegan cheeses on the market, each bringing a unique flavor profile to your palette!
Best Vegan Cheese
- Field Roast Chao Creamy Original Vegan Slices
- NOOCH IT! Fair Trade Dairy-Free Cashew Grated Cheeze
- Daiya Swiss Style Cheese Slices
- Tofutti Better Than Ricotta Cheese
- Violife Just Like Parmesan Cheese
Field Roast Chao Creamy Original Vegan Slices
Suppose you’re a fan of sandwiches and quesadillas and hunting for a vegan cheese alternative. In that case, Field Roast’s Chao Vegan Slices is a standout choice due to its superior flavor, texture, and impressive melting properties.
Chao’s unique flavor profile is slightly sweet, akin to mild cheddar, and the soft texture melts effortlessly. This vegan cheese’s creamy mouthfeel gives it an edge over other dairy-free options – and it’s all thanks to key ingredients like coconut oil and fermented tofu,
The fermented tofu adds a certain tanginess that elevates the taste while also contributing to a creamy finish when heated, preventing the cheese from becoming rubbery or oily. However, bear in mind the slightly sweet flavor and inclusion of coconut oil may not suit everyone’s palate or dietary restrictions.
With its non-GMO labels and vegan certifications, Chao ensures that you’re not only enjoying a delicious vegan cheese substitute but also one that aligns with your dietary values and preferences.
- Vegan and non-dairy consumers looking for a cheese substitute with a unique flavor and excellent melting properties, ideal for sandwiches and quesadillas.
- Carries non-GMO labels and vegan certifications, aligning with ethical and dietary preferences.
- Unique, rich flavor and a soft, melty texture due to the use of fermented tofu.
- Superior melting properties and creamy mouthfeel make it a supreme plant-based choice for various dishes.
- The slightly sweet flavor, similar to mild cheddar, might not appeal to everyone’s taste.
- Although free of dairy products, this vegan creamy cheese contains soy.
NOOCH IT! Fair Trade Dairy-Free Cashew Grated Cheeze
For the vegan foodie with a penchant for savory dishes, NOOCH IT! Fair Trade Dairy-Free Cashew Grated Cheeze is a game-changer, boasting a unique blend of organic cashews and nutritional yeast that delivers a rich nut-based flavor.
This vegan cheese alternative is a powerhouse of nutrients, particularly B vitamins, thanks to its wholesome, organic ingredients.
The distinctive taste of this dairy-free cheese comes from the perfect balance of cashews and nutritional yeast. You’ll find it versatile, perfect for sprinkling on pasta, pizza, salads, or even popcorn. Packaged in a convenient shaker bottle, it’s ready to use whenever you crave that cheesy flavor. As a bonus, it’s also non-GMO, soy-free, gluten-free, and lactose-free.
However, keep in mind that the bottle size is relatively small, which may make it a costly choice, and its unique taste may not appeal to everyone’s palate.
- Vegan foodies who enjoy savory dishes and looking for a nutrient-rich, dairy-free alternative to traditional cheese.
- High in B vitamins due to its wholesome, organic ingredients.
- Offers a unique blend of cashews and nutritional yeast for a distinctive flavor.
- Versatile and can be sprinkled on a variety of dishes.
- The bottle size is relatively small.
- The price could be lower.
Daiya Swiss Style Cheese Slices
Those with dietary restrictions who still crave the smooth, buttery taste of cheese will find Daiya’s Swiss Style Cheese Slices a delightful alternative, thanks to its reformulated recipe that convincingly mimics real cheese while being completely free from common allergens.
The base ingredients, potato starch, and coconut oil give it a smooth, creamy texture, similar to traditional cheese.
It melts and stretches well, making it ideal for burgers and sandwiches. However, it does take longer to melt compared to regular cheese and lacks the characteristic holes found in Swiss cheese.
Despite these minor differences, it still provides essential nutrients like calcium and potassium. It’s a versatile option that caters to a variety of dietary preferences and restrictions.
- Individuals with dietary restrictions or preferences, allergies to common food items, or gluten intolerance looking for a cheese substitute that closely mimics the original in taste and texture.
- Provides essential elements like calcium and potassium, supporting overall health.
- Caters to a wide variety of dietary preferences and restrictions with its allergen-friendly formulation.
- Melts and stretches well, ideal for use in burgers, sandwiches, or any dish requiring cheese.
- Melting process takes longer compared to regular cheese, potentially affecting cooking time.
- Contains pea protein, which may cause allergic reactions in some people.
Tofutti Better Than Ricotta Cheese
Perfect for vegan lasagna, cheesecake, and even ravioli, Tofutti Better Than Ricotta Cheese, a product of the acclaimed Tofutti brand, showcases a unique versatility that’s hard to find in other vegan cheese alternatives.
This tofu-based cheese substitute is an ideal ingredient in both sweet and savory dishes, ranging from pancakes to pastries, casseroles, to pizzas. Compliant with various dietary lifestyles, it’s kosher, gluten-free, and non-GMO, but it’s unsuitable for those with soy allergies.
Additionally, it contains palm oil, a controversial ingredient due to its environmental impact. Despite these caveats, its versatility and unique flavor profile make it a worthy contender in the vegan cheese market.
It’s important to note that Tofutti Better Than Ricotta isn’t recommended for raw consumption – it truly shines when heated, transforming its initial grainy texture into a creamy delight.
- Vegans, individuals following varied diets, and those seeking a versatile cheese substitute for baking and cooking.
- A non-dairy cheese substitute that can be used in both sweet and savory dishes.
- Compliant with various dietary lifestyles, including vegan, kosher, gluten-free, and non-GMO.
- Produced by Tofutti, a prominent and trusted brand in vegan cheese production.
- Not advisable for raw consumption as its texture and flavor are best enhanced when heated.
- Contains soy and palm oil.
Violife Just Like Parmesan Cheese
If you’re on the hunt for a vegan cheese alternative that’s nut-free, melts beautifully, and is rich in nutrients, Violife’s Just Like Parmesan Cheese could be your ideal choice.
This cheese substitute is made from a base of coconut oil, potatoes, and rice, making it free from gluten, soy, and nuts. It’s also certified as non-GMO and vegan.
This vegan ‘parmesan’ melting and grating properties are excellent, making it a versatile addition to hot pasta dishes, soups, and salads. It’s also a fantastic source of vitamin B12, a nutrient often challenging for vegans to get from diet alone. So, if you’re up for trying something new, Violife’s Just Like Parmesan Cheese might just surprise you.
- Vegans, people with nut allergies, and those needing a good source of vitamin B12 from their diet.
- A rich source of vitamin B12, essential for vegans who may struggle to get this nutrient from other food sources.
- Free from common allergens like nuts, gluten, and soy, making it suitable for a wide range of dietary requirements.
- Excellent properties make it a versatile addition to a variety of gourmet dishes.
- The unique combination of potatoes and rice may not be to everyone’s liking, potentially limiting its appeal.
Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Cheddar
Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Cheddar stands out among other dairy-free cheese products due to its versatility in hot and cold dishes and its easy-to-melt quality.
You’ll find that these cheddar-style shreds mimic the real thing, making them ideal for use in dishes like quesadillas, tacos, and mac and cheese. The shreds are perfectly sized and won’t stick or clump together, making your culinary adventures a breeze.
While this soy-free, certified vegan product is an excellent dairy substitute, it isn’t perfect. The long list of ingredients isn’t ideal, and the use of palm oil, a vegan but environmentally controversial ingredient, might be a turn-off for some.
Nevertheless, its pros significantly outweigh its cons, making it a valuable addition to your vegan kitchen.
- Vegans and dairy-free consumers who want a versatile, easy-to-melt cheese alternative with a sharp cheddar flavor.
- Mimics the sharp flavor of real cheddar, enhancing various dishes.
- Easy to melt and doesn’t stick or clump together, making it convenient for cooking.
- Versatile in both hot and cold culinary applications, offering a broad spectrum of usage.
- Contains a long list of ingredients, which may not be appealing to all consumers.
- Contains palm oil.
The world of vegan cheese is as diverse as it is delicious. Whether you’re seeking a creamy alternative for your sandwiches, a nutritional sprinkle for your pasta, or a versatile ingredient for baking, there’s a dairy-free cheese out there to suit your taste buds and dietary needs.
Remember, the best vegan cheese is not just about imitating the taste and texture of traditional cheese. It’s about offering a healthy, cruelty-free alternative that doesn’t compromise on flavor.
So why not take a culinary adventure and explore these six fantastic vegan cheeses? Your taste buds and the planet will thank you!
Two More Recommendations for Your Plant-Based Journey
1. This is the best free video training I’ve found on plant-based nutrition. You’ll learn how to reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and obesity—all with plant-based food. Watch the free “Food for Health Masterclass” here.
2. This is the best vegan multivitamin I’ve found in my 14 years of being vegan. It has vitamin B12, vitamin D, omega-3—and nothing else. Translation: It only has the nutrients vegans are actually low in. Read my full review of Future Kind’s multivitamin here (with 10% discount).