When the cold rolls in, there’s probably no more stylish piece of clothing than a peacoat. Besides protecting you from freezing, peacoats have a smart, clean, sophisticated look.
Unfortunately, it can seem like every peacoat on the market contains some percentage of wool. This is a bummer if you’re vegan (like I am)!
No worries, though—today, we’re reviewing the best vegan peacoats for men and women (five of each). If you’re against wool but you still want the sophisticated look of the infamous peacoat… let’s dive in!
Below, you’ll my five 5 top recommendations for men’s and women’s peacoats… But just quick, here are my #1 top choices for each:
• Best vegan peacoat for men: This one by Excelled (click to view on Amazon). It has a classic “wool look,” without the wool. Machine washable = less hassle. Polyester = more water-resistant than cotton. It’s just my all-around favorite.
• Best vegan peacoat for women: This one by Allegra K (click to view on Amazon). Allegra K has several really stylish designs. This double-breasted winter peacoat especially has a smart, chic look.
Before I get into all ten recommendations (with photos), let’s cover what makes a great vegan peacoat, and factors to consider.
Choosing a Vegan Peacoat
Here are the key aspects to consider when shopping for a vegan peacoat.
- Material: Obviously, you want to avoid wool. This mainly leaves you with cotton or polyester. Cotton is very soft and comfortable to wear, but it’s usually lacking when it comes to water-resistance. This isn’t as big of an issue in polyester peacoats. So personally, I like polyester best.
- Size: Be sure to carefully check the size chart of any peacoat prior to purchase. Sometimes, depending on your stylistic preferences, you may want to order a size down for a slim fit, or a size up for a baggy look. Reading reviews for each peacoat can also help you determine how the sizes usually run.
- Pockets: These are always useful. Zippered pockets are great for safety, but they don’t offer as easy access as with seam pockets. So either have pros and cons.
- Double-breasted vs single-breasted: Do you want two rows of buttons going down the front of your peacoat? Or just one? Both can look great. The double-breasted designs have the advantage of also keeping out the wind and cold more effectively.
Best Vegan Peacoats for Men
Here are 5 of the best non-wool peacoats for men, starting with my top choice, from Excelled.
1. Excelled: Men’s Polyester Peacoat
My personal favorite peacoat for men, this one by Excelled is the epitome of classic styling. Check the price and options on Amazon here.
As a vegan alternative to wool peacoats, the body of the Excelled peacoat is made from 100% polyester. It does offer a trendy, posh look, but that’s the whole point—not straying too far from the conventional wool design.
This peacoat features traditional double-breasted buttons and a notched collar. There are welt pockets at the side, as well as a single back vent to complete the look.
Available in charcoal, grey, and black colors, this peacoat is also machine-washable to save you the cleaning hassle.
- Wool-look (without the actual wool)
- Easy to clean
- Multiple colors
- The buttons are a bit flimsy
2. Nautica: Men’s Peacoat
Next up is this high-quality men’s peacoat from Nautica (click to check price on Amazon).
Offering a timeless vibe with a touch of modern tech, this peacoat effectively stands up to the elements with heat retention and water-resistance—all while looking posh as ever.
The outer shell of the Nautica Men’s Peacoat is made of 100% polyester, whereas the lining is 100% nylon. It has a classic peacoat style with double-breasted buttons and notched lapels.
There’s a throat latch to secure under the collar and buttoned epaulets at the shoulders. The coat is adjustable in many ways.
Additionally, there are concealed snap pockets on each side with interior heat retention for extra warmth. The water-resistant finish keeps you dry and comfortable no matter what the weather is.
- Water-resistant finish
- Very stylish
- Needs more color options
3. Brave Soul: Men’s Carlos Peacoat
The Brave Soul Men’s Carlos Peacoat makes a great addition to your casual wardrobe, especially with the stitch detail on the chest and back. Check the colors and price on Amazon here.
It’s lightly padded to warm you up in the cold, complete with side seam pockets for easy entry and laid-back look.
Despite not being advertised as “vegan,” this peacoat is made using 100% polyester. It’s on the shorter side, but the collar is high enough to well protect you against the elements.
Available in black and navy colors, this peacoat is to be dry cleaned only.
- Works well for casual use
- Lightweight but warm
- Good price
- Must be dry cleaned
4. Manuel Ritz: Cotton Peacoat (for Men)
From the innovative male total look brand Manuel Ritz, this peacoat is one of the most “serious” looking options here. Check the price on Amazon here.
It’s thick and heavy, providing a lot of warmth and protection against the elements.
The outer shell of this peacoat is made of 100% cotton, which means it’s not only vegan but also very soft.
As for the lining, it’s made using 70% acetate and 30% cupro (regenerated cellulose from recycled cotton).
This peacoat is available in black and navy blue colors. It has a single-breasted design, side seam pockets, and a standard collar without notched lapels.
- 100% cotton construction
- Professional look
- Good heat retention
- Not very water-resistant
5. H&M: Twill Men’s Peacoat
This sophisticated twill peacoat for men by H&M is available in 2 vegan colors: black and dark blue.
Both versions feature a shell that’s made out of 77% polyester and 23% viscose, while the lining is 100% polyester. Consequently, it’s warm and flexible without being too heavy.
Even though the black and dark blue peacoats aren’t advertised as vegan, they’re currently made without incorporating any animal-derived materials. There’s also a grey version, but that one contains wool.
(Always check H&M’s descriptions of peacoats from color to color since they’re often made using different fabrics.)
Other than that, this twill peacoat is a potential wardrobe staple. It has a classic double-breasted design, complete with notch lapels and a split-hem back vent. It also has multiple button tabs at the cuffs so you can adjust for a better fit.
- Quality construction
- Adjustable at the cuffs
- Could use a couple of extra colors (the gray one has wool)
Best Vegan Peacoats for Women
Here are 5 of the best non-wool peacoats for women, starting with my top choice, from Allegra K.
1. Allegra K: Women’s Long Peacoat
Addressing the vegan ladies out there, this peacoat by Allegra K can give you the elegant look you’re aiming for, without containing any wool. Check the price and colors on Amazon.
This peacoat is made using polyester on the outer shell and the inside of the coat. It has a double-breasted storm flap button closure to keep you warm even in strong wind.
The longline cutting of this peacoat looks sharp—layer it over skinny jeans and a turtleneck for a smart chic outfit.
It also features flap pockets, notched lapels, and a back vent. It’s available in khaki, red, black, beige, blue, and pink colors. (View them all on the Amazon page.)
- Soft fabric
- True to size
- Vibrant colors
- Collects lint and hair a bit too easily
2. Woman Within: Women’s Hooded Fleece Peacoat (Plus Size)
If you’re a big girl on the hunt for a quality peacoat, you may want to check out this peacoat by Woman Within (Amazon link).
Woman Within is an established brand in the world of plus size comfort. And this peacoat of theirs is totally vegan!
It’s made using microfleece with a quilted lining to give ample cushioning. Works great for layering and comes with side-seam pockets and a hood.
The Women’s Within Fleece Peacoat is machine washable, available in black and blue colors.
- Cozy material
- Great for plus-size ladies
- Comes with hood
- Not very thick
- The hood isn’t detachable
3. Allegra K: Women’s Single-Breasted Winter Peacoat
Allegra K’s Women’s Winter Peacoat offers an elegant chic look that you can wear for work, shopping, weekend gathering, and formal events. Check the price and color options on Amazon.
While it’s not advertised as “vegan,” this Allegra K peacoat contains no animal materials. It’s made of 100% polyester.
The longline notched lapel design gives you an ultra-sophisticated look with a feminine silhouette. The single-breasted configuration, versatile flap pockets, and single back vent all work together to achieve classic peacoat vibes.
With eight different color options—view them on Amazon—you’ll surely find something to match your unique taste.
- Soft material
- Good value for the money
- 8 color options
- Can be too long
- Wrinkles a bit easily
4. BodiLove: Women’s Peacoat
On the more affordable side, the BodiLove Women’s Peacoat is a good choice for ladies in need of a warm layer without breaking the bank. Check the style options and price on Amazon.
It’s made of 100% polyester with a 600MM polyurethane coating to provide decent water-resistance on rainy days and impressive flexibility.
The stylish slim-cut design is form-fitting for an attractive look that compliments your body. It features notched lapels as a tribute to the classic peacoat design, coupled with two zippered side pockets in the middle front for a modern touch.
The solid black color is classic and works with lots of outfits. But there are tons of others styles to choose, from, as well, including hooded variations. (View them all on the Amazon page.)
As for cleaning, only hand wash this peacoat using cold water. No ironing.
- Zippered pockets offer extra security
- Not the most durable option
5. Allegra K: Women’s Long Winter Peacoat
Making one last stop at Allegra K’s winter collection, this piece is a beautiful tribute to the vintage style of peacoat that we all know and love. Check the colors and price on Amazon here.
The classic look, however, is softened by the addition of notched lapels and double-breasted layout. This gives you a sophisticated yet trendy peacoat you can wear over your everyday tops and pants.
With the shell and lining made of 100% polyester, there are no animal materials. It’s available in burgundy, beige, camel, and dark purple colors (view them all on Amazon).
- Trendy vintage look
- Comfortable wear
- Beautiful colors
- Runs a bit large
More Recommendations for Your Vegan Journey
2. This is the best free vegan transition course I know of. It’ll quickly get you up-to-speed on the why and how of veganism, bust myths, and give you a healthy 3-day meal plan. The bloggers who made it (Nutriciously) are awesome people, and they make great e-books, too. But at least sign-up for their free course.
3. This is the best multivitamin I’ve found in 13 years of being vegan. It contains vitamin B12, vitamin D, and omega-3, and nothing else. Translation: It has the nutrients vegans are actually low in. Not 100+ random vitamins. Read my full review of Future Kind’s multivitamin here (with 10% discount code).