Are you looking for a pair of animal-friendly, sustainable dress shoes? Look no further! This article is going to showcase our top picks for the best vegan dress shoes on the market with links to where you can buy them.
First I’ll list out 8 of my favorite vegan dress shoes for men currently on the market. Then after that, I’ll give some general guidelines for choosing vegan dress shoes!
Will’s Vegan Shoes: Signature Brogues Tan & Dark Brown
When it comes to vegan footwear, Will’s Vegan Shoes is one of the most prominent names, and with the solid track record that the manufacturer has, you’re assured nothing less than top-notch quality.
This specific pair of shoes (Amazon link) are comprised of Italian pleather that’s extracted from plants. To be more specific, the plants are cereal crops that are grown in northern Europe.
The construction of this pair is simply remarkable. It’s highly durable, resistant to water, and it’s pretty breathable, meaning that your feet will remain dry and cool throughout the day.
In addition, these shoes feature comfort rubber insoles that hold their own very well over time. Last but not least, the brogue medallions, weave print, and dark colors make this an especially good-looking pair.
Ahimsa: Men’s Vegan Richard Capped Toe Oxford Shoes
The Vegan Richard Oxfords from Ahimsa (Amazon link) is a shoe that’s ethically made in Brazil from materials that are all animal-friendly.
To be more specific, the shoe is made from high-quality faux leather. It’s one of those dress shoes that boast a simplistic design, which is arguably the reason behind its elegant look.
It’s a perfect vegan shoe for both casual and formal occasions.
The Richard Oxford shoes feature a highly durable outsole that should last for years. In addition, the cotton lining on these shoes grants them remarkable breathability.
These shoes also feature a removable footbed for your convenience. Best of all, this timeless pair is available at a more affordable price tag than most quality vegan shoes on the market.
NAE: Vegan Men’s New BCN Vegan Dress Oxford Shoes
This classic shoe from NAE Vegan (Amazon link) is made entirely out of ecological microfiber in Portugal. The shoe features a synthetic sole that can stand the test of time and the insole is comprised of a finished microfiber and particleboard card.
We highly recommend this shoe for people who like a simple dress shoe, as the color of this shoe is a little bit dampened compared to other shoes.
We’re quite fond of the lining on the NAE New BCN. It’s breathable nature grants you optimal comfort and keeps your feet cool and dry. Moreover, it’s entirely free of CO2 emissions.
One thing you need to keep in mind is that you need to go 1/2 size up if your measurements fall between sizes to ensure an ideal and comfortable fit, as recommended by the company.
Bourgeois Boheme: Men’s Luke Urban Desert Vegan Boot
This one has an interesting style—it may be my personal favorite. If the image above isn’t pulling from Amazon properly, be sure to go take a look at it on the Amazon page.
Luke is an urban hipster dress shoe that features an athletic finish that makes an ideal shoe for casual wear. If you’re someone that likes to rock cargo denims and off-duty jeans regularly, you should definitely check out this awesome pair of desert boots.
As far as materials, this shoe is made from Italian vegan leather and microfiber, so it’s entirely animal-friendly.
The shoe boasts a white sole that’s coupled with a very attractive mocha color that does a great job of contrasting brown and neutral rand.
The upper on this boot is water-resistant, so you don’t need to worry about water drops getting in your shoe. Moreover, it features a natural latex insole that allows for a great deal of comfort.
Definitely one of the best-looking shoes on this list.
Will’s Vegan Shoes: City Oxford Wingtip Brogues Dark Brown
These City Wingtip Oxford Shoes (Amazon link) from Will’s Vegan Shoes are made from Italian vegan leather that’s extracted from cereal crops grown in northern Europe through a carbon-neutral process.
The shoe itself is constructed in Portugal, and it meets all the health and safety standards set by the EU. This shoe is best suited for formal, dress-up occasions.
The shoe features hard-wearing soles that are made from recycled rubber, giving an extremely comfortable, cushioned feel. Moreover, the materials are highly breathable and water-resistant.
Lastly, the shoe comes in a sustainable cardboard box that’s just as eco-friendly as the shoe itself.
NOAH: Men’s Damiano Vegan Dress Oxford Shoes
These Damiano Vegan Dress Oxfords from NOAH (Amazon link) are the definition of elegance. This pair is great for both casual and dress-up occasions.
The shoe is ethically-made of long-lasting and sustainable materials in Italy. The uppers are made from eco-friendly microfiber and the sole is comprised of airy rubber, which makes this shoe highly durable and comfortable.
In terms of design, the Damiano Vegan Dress Oxfords boast the timeless lace-up design, which allows for a snug and comfortable fit without restricting the movement of your foot. Further, this pair of shoes is pretty breathable—so no sweaty feet.
Lastly, all of the components used in the making of this shoe are entirely animal-friendly.
Bourgeois Boheme: Johnny Casual Vegan Derby in Black
Inspired by the classic version of the British Derby, these Johnny Casual Vegan Shoes (Amazon link) are perfect for those looking for casual shoes made from animal-free materials.
While they’re a little more geared towards casual wear, they’re also great for formal occasions. Also, absolutely no harmful chemicals were used in the manufacturing of these shoes, so no worries there.
The thing that makes this pair stand out from the rest is the fact that they feature a split-toe seam, which is mainly the reason behind their vintage feel.
Another thing that makes this pair of vegan shoes so great is that they’re quite affordable for a set of ethical vegan dress shoes. Highly recommended!
Bourgeois Boheme: William Oxford Classic Vegan Shoes
The William Oxford Classic Vegan Shoe from Bourgeois Boheme (Amazon link) is made from high-quality faux leather that’s significantly durable.
This shoe boasts an attractive asymmetrical and streamlined design, making it an ideal shoe for formal, dress-up occasions, or even for work. The shoe also features a comfortable, natural latex insole.
I’m also quite fond of the fact that this pair of shoes feature insoles that are made from rubber and cork, which means that they boast fire-resistant and anti-bacterial capabilities.
It also means that you won’t encounter any breathability issues such as sweaty feet. You’ll also enjoy how light this pair is. All in all, you can’t really go wrong with a classic pair of William Oxfords.
Vegan Dress Shoes Buying Guide
Along with the shoe recommendations above, I also wanted to include some more general guidance for buying vegan dress shoes.
Following the tips below should ensure authenticity and quality in whichever vegan dress shoes you choose!
How to Tell If Dress Shoes Are Vegan?
- Symbols – Shoes tend to come with diagram labels that specify the materials used in the making of their upper and inner lining, as well as their outer sole. For instance, a woven pattern indicates natural or synthetic fibers are used. In contrast, an image of animal hide indicates the use of leather in the shoe.
- Labels – Sometimes vegan shoes come with stickers, tags, or labels that indicate that the shoe is made from animal-friendly materials. For example, if the tag on your shoes affirms that they’re 100% synthetic or that they’re completely man-made, it means you have a pair of vegan shoes.
- Ask the Company – The best way to find out whether a pair of shoes are vegan or not is to check with the company—salespeople in stores aren’t always knowledgeable about it. All you need to do is to get in contact with customer service via phone or email to ask. You can ask if the shoes are vegan or if they include any animal products.
How to Care for Vegan Shoes?
Vegan shoes tend to be easier to care for than shoes made out of leather, suede, or fur. They’re also a lot tougher than non-vegan shoes when it comes to wearing them in wet or humid conditions. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t care for them at all.
It’s important to store your vegan shoes somewhere away from sunlight. Further, the area your shoes are stored should be dry and well ventilated.
If the shoes happen to have salt stains, you can easily remove them using water and vinegar. But I highly recommend visiting a cobbler if your shoes require any adjustment or mending in the long run.
The issue with most dress shoes is that they can lose their shape over time. Luckily, the solution to this problem is pretty easy.
All you really need to do is stuff your shoes with newspaper or some sort of tissue when not in use—especially in the toe areas.
What Materials Should I Be Looking For?
- Pleather – Pleather is an artificial substitute for leather in footwear, upholstery, and even clothing. It’s made from polymers like PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) or PU (Polyurethane). It’s important that the shoes you’re going to buy feature breathable and antibacterial pleather to ensure optimal comfort.
- Canvas – This is one of the most durable, animal-friendly materials used in footwear. It’s made primarily from linen, hemp, or cotton. Canvas isn’t the typical best choice for dress shoes, but it’s a superb material to look for in casual shoes and sneakers. For water resistance, look for shoes that feature waxed canvas.
- Cork – Cork is an impermeable, buoyant material that’s extracted without harming the habitat. It’s composed of suberin, which is a water-resistant substance. It’s super lightweight, fire-resistant, highly breathable, and anti-bacterial, making it a fine choice for vegan footwear.
- Hemp – When it comes to antibacterial properties, industrial hemp is one of the greatest materials used in shoes. The best thing about hemp is that it has the ability to absorb natural dyes, meaning you’ll have a wide range of colors to pick from. Not only that, but it’s also a pretty rugged material that lasts for a long time.
- Cotton – This is a material that requires no introduction. It’s one of the most breathable and durable natural fabrics known to man. When it comes to footwear, we recommend going for shoes that feature preshrunk cotton. Such shoes tend to have better shape-retaining abilities.
- Jute – Jute is a natural, biodegradable fabric that’s made from the jute plant. This is one of the most affordable materials used in shoes. It’s also durable, breathable, and pretty comfortable. Jute has quite a few botanical varieties, but the most common species is Corchorus olitorius, also known as white jute.
- Microfiber – Microfiber is a lightweight synthetic fabric that has excellent water resistance. It’s made primarily from polyester and nylon threads. Keep in mind that this fabric tends to go through treatment in order to grant it its water-resistant capabilities. It’s also a lot more durable than microsuede (which is also vegan, actually).
- Other Materials – There are plenty of other materials used in the making of vegan shoes, such as rubber, bamboo, microsuede, pinatex, and more. What’s more, there are vegan shoes made from recycled materials like rubber tires and PET bottles, as well as upcycled materials, which are all great and animal-friendly.
Animals and the environment as a whole are to be treated with respect, and investing in a pair of vegan dress shoes is a great way to align your wardrobe with your values.
Hopefully, the information we’ve offered today has helped you find a great pair of vegan shoes that suit your needs and budget!
If you’ve found this guide helpful and want to remember these recommendations, save the Pin below to your Pinterest “Vegan Shoes” or “Vegan Lifestyle” boards!